Friends of Wollaston Beach

About Friends of Wollaston Beach

FWB was formed in the Fall of 1996 when Councillors Doug Gutro and Brian McNamee gathered residents in response to the Metropolitan Beaches Commission planning a study of the state owned and operated beaches surrounding Boston Harbor. Over the past 10 years, 13 beaches from Nahant to Hull have received ongoing capital improvements, experienced better water quality, and a rise in use by residents.
Also over those 10 years, FWB has held nearly 100 meetings, clean ups, and events to improve the quality of life at Wollaston Beach. Meetings have focused on water quality, recycling programs, signage, history, and much more. FWB has been an annual participant in MA Park Serve Day, Cleaner Greener Quincy, and other local and regional efforts. FWB is perhaps best known for our events. They have ranged from kite festivals to car shows, from historical and environmental walks to sing alongs, puppet shows, book drives, and much more.
Our largest annual event is Kids Fest A free party on the beach for often over 500 children or more enjoying moon bounces, beach games, treasure hunts, prizes, and snacks. The event is held in partnership with MA Department of Conservation, Save The Harbor/Save The Bay, the City of Quincy, and many other private sponsors over the years. Kids Fest is scheduled for Sunday, June 26th Weather Permitting! Membership
Annual Dues $10 per family. Payable at any FWB Event or General Meeting. Please email
Of any amount are most welcome!


A brief of history of Wollaston Beach:
Quincy Shore Reservation was concieved in 1899 by the Metropolitan Parks Commissioners, and remains as the formal/legal name of Wollaston Beach, Caddy Park, and Moswetusset Hummock. The ‘birth’ of Wollaston Beach occurred in 1908 with the completion of the “Metropolitan Boulevard” from Atlantic St to Fenno St.

The “Mount Wollaston River” bridge at Blacks Creek was completed in 1925, and the bridge was dedicated to the memory of Sgt. Philip Greenberg USMC (WWII) in 1961. The Greenberg Bridge was rebuilt in 1974. At that same time, Blacks Creek was dredged, and the order came for it to be dug out to several feet below Low Tide Level so as to ‘alleviate’ flooding upstream at the mouth of Furnace Brook. This order came from a politician and not an engineer, because this action did nothing to stem the flooding and only served to undermine the new approach to the Bridge, until the engineers managed to stop the digging.

Black’s Creek was named for Moses Blacks, a good friend and neighbor of President John Adams and Abigail . (Abigail’s letters spelled his name as ‘Blacks’). He lived in the “Dorothy Q” house on Butler Rd.

Ruffs (or Rufes) Hummock was named for Rufus Davis, essentially banished to live there when his wife died and he took up with too much ‘spirits and loose women’.

Gull Island is now known as Caddy Park, dedicated to the memory of Sgt William Caddy USMC (WWII, posthumously awarded Congressional Medal of Honor).

Pageant Field was named from the celebration of Quincy’s Tercentenary (ter CEN ten ary) in 1925. “Lower Merrymount” was chosen for the site of “The Pageant of Quincy” : 3-hours in length, and truly a cast of thousands of Quincy residents, to depict ‘The 300 Years of Quincy’. All of the several performances held during the week long celebration were a huge success. The concept could have led directly to the notion of the HBO mini-series, but once ‘talking pictures’ took hold, the “Grand Pageant” was no more. But the name “Pageant Field” stays on. The scene depicted on the official Seal of the City of Quincy is essentially the view from Pageant Field.